LongRangeLocators Forums  

Go Back   LongRangeLocators Forums > Main Forums > All-Electronic LRLs

Old 01-05-2016, 03:45 AM
Guru

Default Ferrite antenna: Is the signal pulled in like a magnet?

i don't even know how to ask this question. Is the signal there before you point the ferrite rod at it? Or is it created only after the ferrite is pointed at it?
Old 01-05-2016, 05:07 AM
Guru

Ferrite don't create any signal.
Because too many magnetic lines are forced to go through it, we say that it is a kind of amplification.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Guru

I'm not so sure about it. As I understand it, the flux lines are gathered through the ferrite. And this might create a conduit for the signal to travel along--a magnetic highway like what happens with the sun at times. I don't know but there is something going on there for sure.

I even think the human body has some sort of signal draw. It's like the lines are not there until they get developed, either from walking near the target or waving the antenna in that direction a few times like stroking a piece of iron with a magnet. Then the lines are pulled to the receiver and form the signal. Maybe.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Guru

i know this probably isn't the exact same thing and a loctor works on a much lower scale, but if you've seen one of those plasma globes, when you put your finger near it the pathway forms. Probably the same process with a lightning rod. The path is created--it is not there to begin with. And OMG yes, with the "L" word L-rod.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:27 PM
Guru

Don't know if this is any help.

www.sparkbangbuzz.com/els/magbdcst-el.htm
Old 01-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Guru

Of course I don't know WTF I'm talking about! I am just trying to think what some call "outside the box" but I prefer "outside the walls of the lab maze". When i was about four years old I loved the TV show "Mighty Mouse". My mom bought me a Mighty Mouse shirt with a cape on it. I asked her "Does this mean I can fly now?" She replied "Yes'" So I jumped off the back porch. Wow what a shock of disbelief when I hit the ground! i really thought I was going to fly.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Guru

I'm sure the skeptics will say "Some things never change." Well it was 18 years later before I buitl my own hang glider and flew off the Snake River Canyon years ahead of Evel Knieval. I like one of his quotes "All the money in the world can't get you into Heaven, and it won't buy your way out of Hell..."

I'm surprised Geo is the only brave one to wade in here on this thread.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:50 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike(Mont) View Post
Don't know if this is any help.

www.sparkbangbuzz.com/els/magbdcst-el.htm
Interesting explanations but probably not based in existing physics.

Changeable magnetic field (as generated per detectors coils) is not the same as radio wave.
"copper wire around the house and driving it with the speaker output" does not emit radio waves, it only create changeable magnetic field (mostly inside) loop. Similar or equal as so called "ground loop" coil used in prospecting and earth survey. Neither can emit radio waves.

One simple experiment can prove us that electromagnetic field and radio waves are not the same. If you wrap your Walkie Talkie in Alu foil it can stop to emit and receive radio waves, but if you wrap detector coil (in fact most of those coil are already wrapped) in the same foil, you cannot stop magnetic field to go (out and in), through Alu foil.

Magic word here is resonance and phase. You cannot emit radio waves without resonance creating phase between radio wave components, on other side, detectors changeable magnetic field emitting and receiving coils in general does not need (PI coil par example) any resonance to emit EM field and by following phase we can only distinguish metal parts instead of propgate. There are exception (Enigma p.e.). And some detectors design are based on radio waves instead of changeable magnetic field (GPR devices, some mine detectors..).

But radio waves are composed from magnetic component too. This why ferrite antenna works. As Geo explain it aspirate nearby magnetic (as all ferromagnetic in general) field lines and this way strengthen radio signal at given location:

More reading:

http://physics.stackexchange.com/que...-really-genera
Old 01-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Guru

I need to find some info on the solar magnetic highway to explain this better. Kinda wish i hadn't posted that sparkbangbuzz link. Not quite what I am referring to.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Guru

maybe I'm so far out there no one understands what I am asking.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:15 AM
Guru

Quote:
maybe I'm so far out there no one understands what I am asking.
Do you understand what you asked?

" Is the signal there before you point the ferrite rod at it? Or is it created only after the ferrite is pointed at it? "

Geo already answered your question.

Without signal already existing, there is no job for ferrite antenna. It only concentrate existing signal to get more flux through coil wound on ferrite. Ferrite antenna cannot create signal out of nothing. RA signals are not stationary they are traveling from its source to endless in concentric signal stream.

Ferrite antenna act like hopper in water stream, it caught and concentrate stream from wide to tight opening and give him more pressure at narrow side (this way we get stream gain = related to signal gain in ferrite antenna).
Old 01-06-2016, 03:27 AM
Guru

Okay i get confused some times. Maybe i was thinking about a loop antenna but they both do basically the same thing. I don't claim to be no electronics nut, but the way i understand it, I hold the ferrite so the broad side is facing the target. Or with a loop antenna so the windings are pointed at the target. Not the same system as a pistor detector. The magnetic component hits the front side first. But whatever the case, I still hold that there is some kind of magnetic pathway that forms. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL
Old 01-06-2016, 11:50 AM
Guru

If target act as radio wave source (in case of reflected radio waves - from using GPR apparatus par example or distance radio station using Gold Gun pistol), ferrite antenna can point to those targets: if from target surface reflected signal is strong enough and suit to radio band to which ferrite antenna is tuned. But, this (reflection from targets) is all in case, if we hunt using radio waves (which incorporate magnetic component too).

When we hunt using changeable magnetic field (as with most metal detectors), there is no reflection of magnetic field from targets surface. Targets in changeable magnetic fields act as many very small oscillatory circuits (as many such minuscule circuits, as many eddy currents was created at target surface) and in consequence metal targets act in changeable magnetic field as load (by changing inductance of coil, frequency of coil tank circuit, or amplitude and phase of oscillation).

Where we have magnetic component: as main one (in case of metal detector) or as part of radiation (in case of radio waves), we can use ferrite antenna: as to wave source pointing direction or as magnetic field concentrating means (two such examples: transistor SW radio, pinpointer).
Old 01-06-2016, 01:21 PM
Guru

If the ferrite rod nulls (goes quiet) when the end is pointed at the target, is that magnetic?
Old 01-06-2016, 02:16 PM
Guru

Of course all is about magnetic influence of changeable magnetic field.

But, nulling existing signal pointed ferrite antenna at its source, is not due ferrite, it is due electronic circuit design after ferrite antenna. It can be unintentionally bad (saturation of first stage at some input signal level) or intentionally good, depend of our expected achievement.

Nulling of existing signal can be made due receiving reflected signal in counter phase too (as pa example tin hut somewhere behind you).
Old 01-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Guru

I'm still vague on all of this. I thought the Gold Gun uses the null to locate the target.

Since I'm on this, what is the advantage of using a long thin ferrite rod versus a shorter, fatter one? Is it just a cost (save money) issue?
Old 01-06-2016, 02:54 PM
Guru

Depend on its circuit building and tunning, GG circuit can detect by nulling signal too. Not sure how original one work, I haven't one.

With longer thin ferrite rod you get more directive antenna to more precisely point at target location, with shorter and fatter one you get more sensitive (more gain) antenna to sense weaker signals.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:59 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM6 View Post
Depend on its circuit building and tunning, GG circuit can detect by nulling signal too. Not sure how original one work, I haven't one.

With longer thin ferrite rod you get more directive antenna to more precisely point at target location, with shorter and fatter one you get more sensitive (more gain) antenna to sense weaker signals.
Okay, thanks for that. I feel like the short, fat one gives cleaner signal but sensitive to direction. The thin one seems noisy but it's a lower permeability.

Pretty sure the Gold Gun and AGR receiver use the null to locate the target by pointing the end of the ferrite rod at the target. They look for a drop in the signal or whatever it is, background noise?
Old 01-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Guru

It is always problem how to distinguish between useful signal and all sort of environmental interference signal (including useful signal unwanted reflexed from objects around our location).

The only primitive (conditionally) solution is to build extremely directive antenna that can receive (practically) in pointed direction only and by this suppress all other sources of signals. Or we need to go more sophisticated and expensive way to digital filtering and selecting useful signal out of signals cacophony.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:46 PM
Guru

Quote:

Okay, thanks for that. I feel like the short, fat one gives cleaner signal but sensitive to direction. The thin one seems noisy but it's a lower permeability.
Solutions to more directive antennas are known.

We need to use two or more antennas (instead one only) in parallel, at given distance between them and follow phase of each one to get equal balance (which mean "null" direction). Unfortunately, to get practically applicable device, we are here limited to suitable wavelength (shorter wavelength mean more useful/practical construction of our device).

GG follow such directivity idea, but with "in-line" design of two ferrite antenas instead of two parallel placed at adequate distance. Such "in-line" tuning could be more critical.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:50 PM
Guru

Okay, I didn't see the GG that the two ferrite rods run to separate circuits. AGR Receiver probably the same.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Guru

Quote:

Pretty sure the Gold Gun and AGR receiver use the null to locate the target by pointing the end of the ferrite rod at the target. They look for a drop in the signal or whatever it is, background noise?
When i say the short ferrite rod is "sensitive to direction" I mean it is like aiming a pistol compared to a long barrel rifle, it's harder to aim. Definitely not the same as the long thin rod. I need more time with it, just got it wound last night. But so far I like it better.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Guru

with small ferrite i have gut signal
Old 01-06-2016, 10:13 PM
Guru

Quote:
Okay, I didn't see the GG that the two ferrite rods run to separate circuits. AGR Receiver probably the same.
Your do not need separate circuits, only separate antennas driven by same circuit. Something like Dual or Quad Yagi antenna. GG is pure VLF radio device with two separate antennas proper mutual equilibrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxma1981
with small ferrite i have gut signal
No doubt. With short fat ferrite antenna you receive a lot more different signals, than with long directive antenna. Question is what use of all those "gut signals". Did you take a look at spectrum of all those signals in spectrum analyzer? Try and you will see what a mess you receive.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:42 PM
Guru

6 vlf station:χαχαχα: