LongRangeLocators Forums  

Go Back   LongRangeLocators Forums > Main Forums > All-Electronic LRLs

Old 03-14-2012, 06:23 PM

Default Esteban was right!

Good citizens,

I was reading on the Photonics Newsletter today and scientists are using lasers to detect chemicals in boxes at over a 100 meters. Even inside walls detection is possible with lasers and at the end of the article it mentions using it for geological detection. Look here:

http://www.photonicsonline.com/artic...ource=nl:33421

Long distance Raman Spectroscopy,this is great.

Randy
Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seden View Post
Good citizens,

I was reading on the Photonics Newsletter today and scientists are using lasers to detect chemicals in boxes at over a 100 meters. Even inside walls detection is possible with lasers and at the end of the article it mentions using it for geological detection. Look here:

http://www.photonicsonline.com/artic...ource=nl:33421

Long distance Raman Spectroscopy,this is great.

Randy
Nothing new.

Look at this 7 years old stuff:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...n27detect.html
Old 03-14-2012, 11:51 PM

Default Almost true

Here's what IS new:
"
a new method has now been developed to detect chemicals inside a container over a distance of more than a hundred meters."

The 7 year article does not make that claim.

Randy
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 AM
Guru

Some times when i said that i saw a laser lrl that had the ability to detect objects from 70m, some members here irony me. So maybe it is time to read again all the threads from begin.
Also i own a laser lrl.

Regards
Old 03-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Some times when i said that i saw a laser lrl that had the ability to detect objects from 70m, some members here irony me. So maybe it is time to read again all the threads from begin.
Also i own a laser lrl.

Regards
Geo, there is no need that something what is working fine in theory and some lab tests, work the same in real world of your needs.

If your laser LRL is Bionic, it is useless (and at the same time very expensive) box usable as toy only.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seden View Post
Here's what IS new:
"
a new method has now been developed to detect chemicals inside a container over a distance of more than a hundred meters."

The 7 year article does not make that claim.

Randy
If it can be mounted even on aircraft, this mean from great distance and it can be understood by itself that all landmines are in "containers" and not in form of free bulk explosive.

"The machine also could be mounted on an armored vehicle, on a robot or aboard a small unmanned aircraft.
Tong hopes to develop an instrument that can detect explosives from 110 yards away .."

But main problem with laser spectral detecting small amount of molecules at distance in real world (out of clean lab atmosphere) is that with distance we get huge and uncontrollable amount of unwanted molecules in air which totally cover and eliminate wanted molecules from detection.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Guru

Hi WM6

I agree with you on this, but if the device can have some sourse of discrimination like notch on MD, may be you can set it to detect only explosives particles.

I also will like to know how smoke detector for example detects smoke particles and no more than smoke? Is clear that this device is made to work only with smoke, but can this be mod to work to detect other kind of particles?

Regards

Nelson

But main problem with laser spectral detecting small amount of molecules at distance in real world (out of clean lab atmosphere) is that with distance we get huge and uncontrollable amount of unwanted molecules in air which totally cover and eliminate wanted molecules from detection.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson View Post
Hi WM6

I agree with you on this, but if the device can have some sourse of discrimination like notch on MD, may be you can set it to detect only explosives particles.

I also will like to know how smoke detector for example detects smoke particles and no more than smoke? Is clear that this device is made to work only with smoke, but can this be mod to work to detect other kind of particles?

Regards
Yes, nelson, effectively it works like notch (of course with other technical solution) but notch we use in vicinity detectors and laser we tend to use as long range detectors.

Notch is usable in relatively clean soil. In soil full of different trash that cover wanted target signal, notch become completely unusable.

The same situation we get with laser at distance. We have 2 or 3 usable molecules at say 100m but before laser beam reach those molecules, beam hit billions of other trashy molecules in air, which give back totally mess of interference chaos and cover usable signals, if it was even created.

Smoke particles detector is another story, it cannot differentiate between different source of smoke.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Banned

Default Yes Estebans system workrd

But it is a difficult task to scan the earth with a laser beam the size of a head of a needle, it would take alot of swingig and you would probably end up spending any gold money on doctors fees to fix your sore elbow from swinging the laser around.
read more about it at http://www.nmp.csiro.au/ion.html
Estebans system was different and quite clever.
He modulated the laser output so the reflected wave is close to the modulated frequency, so you detect the reflected wave not the laser frequence.

rgds
Old 03-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedevil View Post
But it is a difficult task to scan the earth with a laser beam the size of a head of a needle, it would take alot of swingig and you would probably end up spending any gold money on doctors fees to fix your sore elbow from swinging the laser around.
read more about it at http://www.nmp.csiro.au/ion.html
Estebans system was different and quite clever.
He modulated the laser output so the reflected wave is close to the modulated frequency, so you detect the reflected wave not the laser frequence.

rgds
Agree, Estebans system is working, but his system cannot detect nothing like gold or silver.

He pull the idea from laser spy microphone where voices modulate laser beam:

http://hacknmod.com/hack/how-to-long...ophone-spying/

Nice to play with such creation, but conceptually wrong and unusable in detecting things of value.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Guru

I understand WM6, but it must be a way to split that molecules, like a filter to let pass only gold molecules.
Anyway it is a very interesting technology to investigate.
Talking about pdk, do you have a good VLF oscillator to build has a coil stimulator for PDK. I need an oscillator capable to generate VFL btw 110 to 180 Khz or around this spectrum

Regards
Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM6 View Post
Yes, nelson, effectively it works like notch (of course with other technical solution) but notch we use in vicinity detectors and laser we tend to use as long range detectors.

Notch is usable in relatively clean soil. In soil full of different trash that cover wanted target signal, notch become completely unusable.

The same situation we get with laser at distance. We have 2 or 3 usable molecules at say 100m but before laser beam reach those molecules, beam hit billions of other trashy molecules in air, which give back totally mess of interference chaos and cover usable signals, if it was even created.

Smoke particles detector is another story, it cannot differentiate between different source of smoke.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:57 AM
Guru

Quote:

rgds
If you will try to detect the phenomenon then you don't need to do a lot of swinging. You must forget the theory with reflected signals.

Regards
Old 03-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson View Post

it must be a way to split that molecules,
Maybe you can filter out some 1000s of unwanted disturbing molecules at distance of 100cm by using DSP technique, but you cannot filter out many billions of such trashy molecules found at distance of 100m and sense there one or two "gold" (which one?) molecules. Don't forget signal strength decreases by square of the distance, mean useful signal of remote targets are very weak in comparison with trashy signal everywhere on beam path. Science fiction.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Guru

Default laser lrl

Quote:
Also i own a laser lrl.

Regards

Hi Geo, can you post some photos from your laser lrl.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Banned

Default Crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM6 View Post
Agree, Estebans system is working, but his system cannot detect nothing like gold or silver.

He pull the idea from laser spy microphone where voices modulate laser beam:

http://hacknmod.com/hack/how-to-long...ophone-spying/

Nice to play with such creation, but conceptually wrong and unusable in detecting things of value.
Esteban's method has nothing to do with spy cameras. He used a modulated laser in the infared spectrum to transmit. And then detcted the bouncing back lower frequency modulating frequency. Discrimination is possible, but depth is very low due to the use of the IR laser for transmission. This is why i suggested using a MASER of a slightly lower frequency for transmission and then you may get depth and discrimination.

Please understand your technologies before posting quotes of "he is wrong" as you become and sound like a fool in front of everyone.

rgds
Old 03-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Guru

Quote:
Esteban's method has nothing to do with spy cameras. He used a modulated laser in the infared spectrum to transmit. And then detcted the bouncing back lower frequency modulating frequency. Discrimination is possible, but depth is very low due to the use of the IR laser for transmission. This is why i suggested using a MASER of a slightly lower frequency for transmission and then you may get depth and discrimination.

Please understand your technologies before posting quotes of "he is wrong" as you become and sound like a fool in front of everyone.

rgds
You try first understand what I say and then comment. I know you cannot.

I am saying where primary idea was pulled out. And this was not from "spy cameras" - where did you find this (?), but laser spy microphone - a totally different things.

And yes, I can only repeat, Esteban is wrong in this case again and you do not understand either Esteban idea nor me.

Not only understand, You are not even capable of correct reading.

Scrap of hung personality make you faded.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by humhum View Post
Hi Geo, can you post some photos from your laser lrl.

Hi.
Here is the first version of my laser detector. Final version has some mod's... but i have not photo from it
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2012, 09:32 PM

Default Esteban was right!

Geo,

That looks really good! I'm going to try a different tact by putting the primary leads of an audio transformer in series with the power lead of my laser and connect the secondary leads to an audio amplifier and see what is heard when scanning over various metals and minerals.

I think there is much latitude experimenting with lasers where before we have been using the electromagnetic methods for close to a century now to find metals and ores.

I sure hope Esteban gets better soon. I wish I had his email address so I could write him. If anyone talks with him please tell him Randy says hi.
Thanks.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:53 AM

Default Scratch that idea

I connected the laser diode up with the audio transformer and first looked at the output on a scope. The usual low level mains was there but noticed that I was getting pulses when moving the laser around on my wood table,a copper coin or other metal objects. So I then hooked up an audio amplifier to the transformer and found out that the laser diode module acted like a microphone when handled and when I moved it across the copper penny it made quick narrow pulses over the raised shapes,ditto on my needle nose pliers with its tiny grooves from being polished.

I'm sure that Esteban discovered this early on and found the better method of modulating the Laser with a square wave.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Guru

We must understand that when we speak about LRLs we speak for "phenomenon" detectors. We must forget anything about "normal" metal detectors. Every test closer to 50cm is wrong. So, at who distance far from laser you moved the coin???
Also repeated the test having the coin on a long wood rod, not at your hands.
I am interesting for your results.

Regards
Old 04-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Guru

Quote:
Hi.
Here is the first version of my laser detector. Final version has some mod's... but i have not photo from it

Geo, thanks for photo , you with this your IR Detector found anyone coin ?.

Regards.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Guru

Default IR schematic

What thinks for this two schematics with patents

Fig.1 is for Detector with FM+IR for buried metal.

Fig.2 is Detector with IR and photo diode

Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 AM
Guru

Quote:
Geo, thanks for photo , you with this your IR Detector found anyone coin ?.

Regards.
Hi.
I did not find any coin. I took signals only over ancient tombs from 10m distance. It works near to 400 Mhz and has a red laser module.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:23 AM
Guru

Quote:
What thinks for this two schematics with patents

Fig.1 is for Detector with FM+IR for buried metal.

Fig.2 is Detector with IR and photo diode

Can you give me the pattent number, so to read it and to say my opinion??
Old 04-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Guru

Quote:

Can you give me the pattent number, so to read it and to say my opinion??
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7288927.pdf