LongRangeLocators Forums  

Go Back   LongRangeLocators Forums > Main Forums > All-Electronic LRLs

Old 01-13-2017, 01:07 AM

Default wow!!! - how to use any cheap metal detector as PDK or LRL

I found a very interesting video that shows how to use any cheap metal detector as a LRL or PDK with discrimination. Looks very promising I have to try that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGYDGvuSFro

Seems like a cheap metal detector with display is much better than any home-built LRL / PDK.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:48 AM
Guru

This video is not available
Old 01-13-2017, 04:26 PM

You're right they deleted it. Can't find it either on youtube anymore. Looked pretty interesting.

For those who didn't saw the video:
They showed a metal detector being held with the coil in the air (couldn't remember the brand but it had a display). He said something about setting sensitivity and doing ground balance in the air. After doing this you could use the metal detector like a PDK to locate things from a distance. One can also use the iron discrimination from the detector. But for pinpointing the metal detector has to be set to standard settings again and do ground balance normal on ground.

I don't know if that makes sense but I have to try it for myself.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:22 PM
Guru

Yes, I've heard metal detectors go farther "through the air". Just go to youtube.com and type in "air test metal detector".
Old 01-14-2017, 12:12 AM

@Mike(Mont) this was not a normal air test for metal detectors. He actually said it can be used as a long range locator when the metal detector is setup like shown in the video. The coil was also a standard DD coil.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:04 AM
Guru

Sorry, couldn't resist. I think you'd do better with the calculator taped to an antenna on the swivel handle hoax. Maybe it's the same guy. Did he say it works "just as good" as a pistol detector?
Old 01-14-2017, 03:40 AM
Guru

Ask him how he how he ground balances in the air. Come on, man! It ain't April Fool's day. It ain't even Ground Hog day. Must be some good rope they're burning.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:58 AM
Guru

Sorry for my attitude. i had an old White's think it was 6.59 kHz I swear I could feel it when I got within about six feet of a ring. Something inside me said "Oh, there's a ring nearby." Happened several times.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:46 AM
Guru

I agree with mike [mont].....
Old 01-14-2017, 10:30 AM

Very funny guys - but it got me thinking. Actually his idea is not that crazy. Because the PDK as we now - is in reality just an old metal detector called Heathkit deluxe metal locator Model GD-348 from 1980. Also the Omega coil is seen in the Magnum metal detector pdf file also from 1980. Compare the attachements for yourself with the legacy pistol rev-03.gif
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf magnum1.pdf (823.4 KB, 1618 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip GD-348.zip (147.1 KB, 1054 views)
Old 01-14-2017, 12:57 PM
Guru

Why did I see this coming? Obviously you read about the Heathkit in the TOTeM plans. So you are saying the TOTeM is the wrong frequency and the TX coil is in the wrong place? I might agree with you on that. But the youtube .com "air test metal detector" I stand by. So that brings up the question, is this thread a hoax? I know what I think.You still going to hide behind your phony youtube video?
Old 01-14-2017, 02:50 PM
Guru

If I was in charge around here i would delete this thread. I wouldn't doubt you will be losing forum members to disgust. i guess that's a question the administrators are going to have t answer. Who are they catering to? B.S. tabloid?
Old 01-14-2017, 04:59 PM
Guru

Look, I ain't no fan of the pistol detectors, but I don't go around making up pitiful propaganda against them. That's desperate. Times are tough in the metal detector industry. A drowning man will step on the next guy's shoulders to try and stay afloat. And the real disgusting part is these guys already made their millions. Is there no decency left in this world? I'll bet you can't count how many skeptic alias there are on this forum. All probably just a handful of people. So when you see the skeptic garbage, like Jackson Browne sings, "say a prayer for the pretender" (pretend they know about LRL's). Prayers work for atheists, too.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:56 PM

Mike(Monty) I don't know wtf you are saying. I just wanted to share a video with others that I found interesting. So don't interpret any bull**** in it. It's a pitty it was deleted. I try to think out of the box to find another solution.

On my search in youtube I also found something like this guy that claims to find buried treasure with digital photography. I don't know what to think about that hoax or not but I also don't want to ignore such things without checking it for myself. So if you don't have to bring anything to the table just STFU and don't read this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4JOjqYQZVY
Old 01-14-2017, 11:32 PM

I just tested today what I saw in the first video that was deleted. I only have a very cheap metal detector from homeimprovement market. It is for household to find power cables in walls and it has a ferrite coil as a sensor (the red sensor on the front). It's called MS-158A you can see a photo of it in the attachement.

I put the sensitivity potentiometer to maximum and it begun to beep. I slowly decreased the sensitivity until it stopped beeping. Now if I point the metal detector in direction of TV or cellphone it will start beeping from 3 meters away. I also did the spark test with 1.5 Volt battery it starts beeping from 1 meter away.

Of course I don't know on which frequency this cheap metal detector works. I have to measure the ferrite coil and change capacitor to get the needed frequency. So I have proven to "myself" that the deleted video was not at all crazy.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Guru

Thank you for these tip, please on which Frequency it is necessary to calibrate the transmitter and the receiver so that it becomes an LRL ???