LongRangeLocators Forums  

Go Back   LongRangeLocators Forums > Main Forums > All-Electronic LRLs

Old 12-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Guru

Default NE555 VLF transmitter

Simple VLF transmitter with aerial coil wire antenna and changeable frequency can be build using wide available NE555. Not with ideal sine wave but usable.

Potentiometer should be, for more precise frequency selection, multi-turn one (if possible), but not required.

Antenna coil data: outer coil diameter >22cm, wire diameter 0.25mm, coil resistance >33 Ohm, number of turns approx 111, inductance about 5mH, wire length needed about 80meters.

PCB dimension 2.1" x 1.6".
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Guru

Proposed circuit generate bursts of selected frequency.
This can be usable if we select frequency out of human audible range (say > 22kHz) which can be then on RX side demodulated to make bursts audible. We can lower C2 to 10uF.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Guru

Hi WM6,
May i ask what is the purpose of the circuit, (except scaring mosquitoes) ?
Old 12-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Hi WM6,
Hi Fred,

purpose of this circuit is, as previous stated, VLF transmitter (very important thing in some sort of electronic dowsing).

DO not be fooled by a weak signal, it is even too strong and need to be limited (limiter not included in circuit yet, but is very simple to apply one) for best sensing results.

You are free to use this circuit for scaring mosquitoes, if your mosquitoes warriors believe in electronic dowsing.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Hi WM6,
Hi Fred,
Mosquitoes are not scared from VLF transmissions.
But if you want to use this circuit for mosquito scaring, you can make a modification to the output at the antenna coil.
By adding a single transistor and resistor plus a piezoelectric transducer, you can make audible sounds which follow the bursts that are being sent at the coil.
Of course, you want to choose sound frequencies that mosquitoes hate, so they will stay away.
This can be good for a dowser when he is treasure hunting, or for a non-dowser for when he is at a picnic lunch during mosquito season.
But be careful... do not adjust to frequencies that attract mosquitoes.

Of course, do not publish what kind of transistor or buzzer ... (spies are watching).

Best wishes,
J_P
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM6 View Post
tHi Fred,

purpose of this circuit is, as previous stated, VLF transmitter (very important thing in some sort of electronic dowsing).

DO not be fooled by a weak signal, it is even too strong and need to be limited (limiter not included in circuit yet, but is very simple to apply one) for best sensing results.

You are free to use this circuit for scaring mosquitoes, if your mosquitoes warriors believe in electronic dowsing.
Thanks WM6,it is very nice.
-morsuvari-
Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 AM

What is the VLF transmitter used for? (Forgive my primitive knowledge), that is, how is it used to find minerals?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 AM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaldude View Post
What is the VLF transmitter used for? (Forgive my primitive knowledge), that is, how is it used to find minerals?
Finds minerals through the use of lots of imagination.

Like a 5 year old kid fending off space invaders with a ray gun comprising his mother's keychain flashlight.

No matter where you go, there are no space invaders, and there are minerals. So it appears that both methods are effective.

--Dave J.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Guru

VERY NICE WM6
What do you use software to simulate the circuitS?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Banned

Default Heart beat duty cycle

Nice circuit and diagrams, reminds me of the thread Geo started a while ago but he didnt have a transmission on the end.

While using my spring divining rod i noticed that the movement towards the target ( a creek) was at a rate of around 1 per second.

So thought what would be changing the electrification amplitude of my body at that rate?

The conclusion i made was that it is simply the heart beating. So i think as we are trying to reproduce divining then why not use the same duty cycle as a human heart beat? Can anyone with a scope look into it? Is it a 50/50 cycle?

Also i think the power of the diviners transmission does make a difference to the distance being divined. I have heard of American indians meditating before releasing a divining signal to get greater distance and accuracy. They used it as a type of communications system with others in the tribe who were away hunting. The meditation must help store the charges inside the body. The charge is releaed in a flash and leaves that feeling of shivers up your spine.

I tried this meditating type of divining once, and funny enough a mosquito came along. Without moving a muscle I put all my thoughts and energy into the shoulder it was about to bite me on. I could hear it getting closer and closer then ZAP! I had charged up so much that i discharged onto the mosquito! The discharge didnt kill the mosquito like a bug zapper would but it flew off making a strange sound.

rgds
Old 01-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustefa ubram View Post

What do you use software to simulate the circuitS?
CW from New Wave Concepts.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 AM

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Guru

Neither do they, Metaldude. They're all BS'ing you. The circuit doesn't have anything to do with locating metals or minerals-- unless you want to pretend that it does.

--Dave J.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 PM

Thanks for that.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 PM

There's lots of them on Google, use: Images, also people who listen to VLF atmospherics have a substantial experience in VLF receivers. What is your application?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 AM
Guru

Quote:
There's lots of them on Google, use: Images, also people who listen to VLF atmospherics have a substantial experience in VLF receivers. What is your application?
The circuit they're talking about in this thread is not a receiver, it is a transmitter that has no useful function. Has nothing to do with metal detection, nothing to do with mineral detection, nothing to do with atmospherics, no practical use whatsoever. Even as an example of a 555 oscillator circuit, it's one of the worst I've seen. The data sheet explains how to use a 555 properly. Note: modern linear CMOS 555's work much better than the original bipolar 555.

If you're interested in building something that actually detects metals or minerals, I recommend www.geotech1.com/forums/forum.php

--Dave J.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:37 AM
Banned

Default Then why are you here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J. View Post
The circuit they're talking about in this thread is not a receiver, it is a transmitter that has no useful function. Has nothing to do with metal detection, nothing to do with mineral detection, nothing to do with atmospherics, no practical use whatsoever. Even as an example of a 555 oscillator circuit, it's one of the worst I've seen. The data sheet explains how to use a 555 properly. Note: modern linear CMOS 555's work much better than the original bipolar 555.

If you're interested in building something that actually detects metals or minerals, I recommend www.geotech1.com/forums/forum.php

--Dave J.
If your such a know it all and the other site is so good Dave, then why are you here?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Guru

Well, Mr. Devil, one might ask you the same question. You've promoted the Half a Dead Fish Dowsing Gospel, but don't recall that you've told anyone where to send the money to buy a copy.

I'm here to debunk LRL fraud, to use the LRL forum as a laboratory for observing what it is about human nature that causes people so easily become deluded by nonsense, and occasionally to steer someone to a forum where things that actually work are discussed if the forum-denizen happens to be interested in things that work and landed here by mistake.

For instance, if a person wanted a 555 circuit to do something useful, and therefore it mattered whether it was done well or poorly, there are forums (for example the Geotech forums) where knowledgeable people discuss such things.

On the LRL forums, people publish schematics of stuff that doesn't have anything to do with locating metals or valuables at a distance, the circuits are always extraordinarily crude and there is no interest in how to do a competent design that might serve a useful purpose even if not that of locating metals or valuables at a distance. My favorite example of this genre are the low frequency receivers (usually inductive). You can buy well designed low frequency receivers, but they're of no use for fake dowsing because they have identifiable signal responses. To be used for fake dowsing a receiver needs either a mechanical swivelly thingy (what the circuit does is irrelevant), or to be so uselessly noisy and drifty that its output is pretty much like rolling dice and with enough imagination you can pretend that the readings have something to do with "gold ions" or whatever your pseudoscientific belief du jour is.

Listening to the explanations is like listening to a gambler explain how his lucky streaks work: the guy is always borrowing money from his buddies and not paying it back and despite all that the guy hasn't discovered the obvious-- which is that he doesn't know crraapp about gambling, its the slicks who keep cleaning him out who understand gambling.

So what keeps incompetent gamblers in the game? There's something they want to be true, even though they know it's false, and their loyalty is to their wants rather than to knuckling under to Reality. The more they invest in the screwup, they more they believe that "I can't quit now, I've got so much invested in it!". (The slicks who are cleaning him out know this is what he's thinking and keep him in the game by pandering to the delusion.) The fallacy that you can "get your money back" by throwing good money after bad is so broadly accepted that you hear supposedly rational businesspeople use that line of reasoning to justify outright financial stupidity. Idjit investors, the money's gone! it's not bait still on a hook that you can reel back in! LRL'ers merely represent an extreme example of what is actually everyday experience, it even happens in the worlds of national and international politics and finance.

The world is governed by superstition, Mr. Devil. You and I probably agree on that much, and what we disagree on is whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. The world is a pretty big laboratory, so when a person wants a small laboratory to put superstition under a microscope, LRL forums serve the purpose well.

--Dave J.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Banned

Default What part of the conversation?

Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about.
I wouldn't worry about Dave's comments at the moment, sound's like he's having a few problems. What part of the conversation didn't you understand. Use quotes.

rgds
Old 01-14-2013, 03:04 AM

I saw a VLF receiver circuit in an earlier post and a 555 based transmitter circuit that does bursts at a low frequency.

How does a VLF transmitter and receiver detect metals/minerals?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 AM
Banned

Default Electrification

Simply the answer is Electrification. Everything to a certain extent is electrified. Water ( H20 ) has a net overall tendancy to be positively charged while gold (Au197 ) has a tendancy to be negetivley charged. A phenomina called the triboelectric effect. The human body has a tendancy to try and stay neautral but is normally - ve charged. This is why a diviner using L rods will have the rods cross over as they go over an underground stream. The rods are being attracted to the +ve plate of the top of the underground water. If the diviner then stops and sticks one L rod in the ground the other L rod will point like a compass to the path of least resistance that the water is flowing in.
Zapping the enviroment with vlf electrofies the surrounding environment and therefor makes gold more -ve and water more +ve. It is like turning up the volume to the surrounding environment or in a similar fashion we turn on a light to see in a dark room. Some people swear by it, but i am a good diviner and therefor do not require it. But i can also see applications for this in an electronic style divining machine to stimulate the antenna.

Hope that clears it up.
rgds

Last edited by Dedevil; 01-14-2013 at 04:50 AM. Reason: after thought
Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J. View Post

--Dave J.
I would only use a cmos chip to save power consumption and battery life. Good if your walking around with a search coil. But in this case the Vlf transmitter would stay in one place and powered by generator or solar and therefor WM6's choice of a TTL 555 is excellent.

Is that your wife yelling at you Dave? Telling you to hurry up and clean the dishes.
She wants a foot massage after that!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 AM
Banned

Default An after thought

If the explanation of electrification was confusing. Try this; Think of our universe and the centre of attraction, the sun. The sun has a huge amount of nuclear explosions happening and according to our science knowledge produces protons (+ve charges) from these explosions. So the sun can be called overall positive "+ve". Now like forces attract and opposite forces repel, so the earth must be overall negative ( -Ve) compared to the sun. Now water on earth has an overall effect of being +ve and so ground water is attracted via streams to the oceans. A smaller stream has less mass than the oceans.
Less mass means less +ve. and so the streams now become -ve with reference to the oceans. like 5 for oceans and 5-1(4) for streams.
Less mass less charge.
rgds
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 AM

That's fascinating, thanks for those explanations. I've tried divining for water and was very surprised to easily find it. Your explanation of charge differences being everywhere, but resident in bodies and being either -ve or +ve is interesting.

You've obviously had electrical training.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 AM
Banned

No worries. If you liked the L rod divining try a spring rod. Although your body has a charge, it also fluctuates with the electrical impulses of your hearts muscles. So your bodies overall charge actually beats! Just like a light being swithed on and off. With a spring rod you can actually see this change in electrification as it will bend towards the underground streams at heart beat rate. Once you've tried it, try this. Hold the spring rod out and without saying anything just ask it how far to the stream? Then start counting up in meters or centimeters in your head. As your count gets closer and closer to the water your heartbeat will also change in rate, slightly, giving an overall accuracy to the water. It's very accurate!

rgds