LongRangeLocators Forums  

Go Back   LongRangeLocators Forums > Main Forums > Long Range Locators

Old 09-08-2006, 03:31 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up Treasure Scope Raven... CONTEST! We have a winner!

Hey, let's do a little contest... a first for Geotech, I think.

OK, everone knows I like to shine a bright light on LRLs, so everyone can see what they really are. I just bought a Treasure Scope Raven... yup, made by Jim Thomas, the fellow who once sued me, then refused to show up in court.

I've gotten the Raven, and opened it up. So here's the contest...

What did I find inside the Raven?

I am looking for a specific answer that describes the main component. Hint: be creative.

Reply to this post, one entry per person, registered folks only.

What's the prize? I dunno... Morgan silver dollar maybe?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:59 AM

Hello Carl, I wouldn't have a clue what's inside this particular dowsing device,
but was wondering if you've ever had the oportunity to have a look inside a
"GOLD GUN"!. Or,know of an accurate report,written by anyone on the guts
of this device?

Swampy.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:06 AM

Talking Treasure scope.....Contest!

You found a circuit board with no parts!!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Guru

Unhappy L/C

Maybe only one tuned circuit (L/C) or a Morgan silver dollar so you give it to us he..he. Only you know:confused: :confused:
Old 09-08-2006, 12:13 PM

Hi Carl, I reckon a relay more than likely. CU later Carl.

John Tomlinson
John's Detectors
Old 09-08-2006, 12:36 PM

Hi to all,
I think, and I'm very sure that inside the Raven it's an elf with a dowsing rod.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:43 PM

Quote from Carls Treasure Scope "Quad" Report:
Quote:
A close-up picture of the Raven shows that it is very similar to the Quad, differing mostly in that it has only three antennae. The web ad states that the Raven does not transmit a frequency, but "is an electronic RECEIVER ONLY that detects undisturbed resonant frequencies that the locator is precisely tuned to." However, it has the exact same vernier tuner and sensitivity knobs as the Quad and, if Mr. Thomas follows the common practices of other LRL manufacturers, the circuitry will be substantially the same as well. The Fitzgerald web page goes on to say that the Raven "will detect and pinpoint gold, silver, diamonds, and paper currency," another testable claim.
I quess it is some simple form of long wave reciever (something like lightning-strike detector or crystal reciever) ...

Like Geo says:
Quote:
Only you know:confused: :confused:
Old 09-08-2006, 09:08 PM

Default My take...

One part comes to mind and may be the best source to operate the gizmo..............The BATTERY...........Everything else is worthless.

Let us know what the part is Carl, Don't keep us in suspense too long

Paul (Ca)
Old 09-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Guru

Ummm...found lots and lots of hot glue and non-working electronics
Old 09-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Guru

Plumes of raven.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Guru (Administrator)

I've never looked inside a Raven, so I guess (as it's claimed to be only a receiver, and not a transmitter/receiver like the Quad) that it has half of the PCB from the Quad. Perhaps even the whole PCB, but half populated, so that only the LM339 opamp is present with a scattering of other components.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:37 AM
Administrator

Default We have a winner...

I posted this contest on thunting.com as well, and Dell Winders replied with a correct answer. Inside the Raven I found.........

an AM radio.

That's right, an ordinary AM radio, lifted right out of a little pocket-type radio case, and dropped right into the Raven. Pic below. The headphone jack was still on the board, so I plugged in my headphones and, yup, could pick up the local AM stations up & down the dial.

So some poor sod paid Jim Thomas $1300 for an AM radio, hoping it would find treasure (it didn't). You can still get one of these fabulous devices because famous treasure hunter and part-time dowsing rod salesman Bob Fitzgerald sells the Raven, though the price is now $1600. See http://www.treasurenow.com/html/TheRaven.html.

Of course, you can let your car find the gold for free. Tune your AM radio to 580kHz, and at 60MPH just let go of the steering wheel. If you feel the car start to pull to the left or to the right, it's not because of bad alignment, it's because there is a huge deposit of gold just off the side of the road. Just let the car go where it will... I guarantee you will soon be driving a new car.

- Carl
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2006, 11:47 AM

Hi Carl, I guess we have to give the ole boy credit for being considerate enough to allow you to listen to your favorite radio station while recovering from hemoroids . Thank you for sharing the info with us Carl, I really do appreciate it. God Bless and happy hunting my friend .

John Tomlinson, CET
John's Detectors
Old 09-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Guru

Carl, you can send my prize to Christian, for his prize credit give aways to Thunting participants. Thanks, Dell
Old 09-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Guru

Wink Ha!

Looks as AM radio.....I am asking myself what should be if there is FM radio instead!?? Ha,ha,ha....
Once when I was young, i wanted to fool someone with device like it is here...
And my joke was 100% successfull!!!
Very good LRL.....
ha,ha,ha....
Old 09-11-2006, 10:49 PM

Default Daylight Robbery

I'm absolutely disgusted, what sort of consumer protection agencies do you have in the States, or do these charlatans work from some tropical island banana republic?

They are nothing more than conniving thieves, this makes me so ANGRY....!
I, like most of us honest people who possess a conscience need to work hard to scrape out a living, not like these ~*!&@^ #%$^

Try and keep up the good work Carl. If I hit a real good patch, I'll send you some dough to help with the costs, it would be good to take them out of business permanently.
Kev.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:57 PM

Default Federral Trade Comission

Hi Carl,
If you paid $1300 for nothing more than a musical dowsing rod, you may have case with the FTC, appears they'd be interested if enough compliants were received.
Cheers
Kev.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:40 PM

Hi Carl

Although I'm a new member here I have read the forums for quite a while and feel that you sometimes are guilty of being over zealous in your disbelief in remote sensing hardware. The case of the Raven being a typical example, I'm not claiming that you have deliberately missed out two critical issues but they are not shown here.

1st the missing component and 2nd the Raven operating instructions.

In your eagerness to look inside I HOPE that you didn't notice the small loudspeaker fall out which is required for new uses, rather than a deliberate act to mislead people. A general overview of the operating procedure can be found here. The subtle differences with the Raven would be listening for your guardian angle instructions, 2 miles northwest for example. Other proven remote sensing designs can be found here.

Regards Grey
Old 09-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Guru (Administrator)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Hi Carl

Although I'm a new member here I have read the forums for quite a while and feel that you sometimes are guilty of being over zealous in your disbelief in remote sensing hardware. The case of the Raven being a typical example, I'm not claiming that you have deliberately missed out two critical issues but they are not shown here.

1st the missing component and 2nd the Raven operating instructions.

In your eagerness to look inside I HOPE that you didn't notice the small loudspeaker fall out which is required for new uses, rather than a deliberate act to mislead people. A general overview of the operating procedure can be found here. The subtle differences with the Raven would be listening for your guardian angle instructions, 2 miles northwest for example. Other proven remote sensing designs can be found here.

Regards Grey
Hehe! For a moment I thought you were being serious.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post

Hi Grey,

I missed the speaker. But the circuit board did have a headphone jack, so I plugged in some headphones, tuned to gold, and... sure enough, I did hear voices! Specifically, Rush Limbaugh. Something about "look to the right... the right... no, not the left!"

- Carl
Old 09-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Guru

Wink Why not?

After all, it is not such bad idea to listen radio while dowsing!
Should pay tribute to man whit such ideas!
For those about the rock....We salute You!!!