LongRangeLocators Forums  

Go Back   LongRangeLocators Forums > Main Forums > All-Electronic LRLs

Old 02-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Guru

Got one ordered and the Contraption is really starting to live up to it's moniker. I just keep trying to improve the performance and in most cases I have failed. But I can't help myself. The poor thing is getting to look like a pile of junk. I'm definitely going in the wrong direction to create an elegant device. Gonna take a bigger battery because these devices are inefficient--lose over 25% efficiency (of battery power) from this one component alone. That's painful to me but if it works it will be worthwhile. Hope to know sometime next week.

So I don't know, might have to go back and start all over and just accept limited performance with a much smaller package. But my motto has been "Cheap overkill". Not pretty and certainly not elegant, but one of the advantages of old age in marriage is poor eyesight--can't see the wrinkles.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:32 PM
Guru

back to the drawing board...again!!! (Swear words deleted). I suppose that will make some people happy. The power supply real nice but put the receiver up near it and it started screaming even before connecting the amplifier. Oh well, wasted some money but the school of hard knocks is not cheap or pain free. Got to look at things on the good side--less clutter now and can use a smaller battery. Anyway, the Contraption seems to be working and maybe it will be okay as is. Yeah, I know, I've said that before about fifty times. And I was hoping that Chinese New Year would bring me good fortune. Well, maybe it is a blessing in disguise.

Oh yeah, I just remembered I ordered those capacitors. So there still could be fireworks!

Gung hay fat choi!!! Happy New Year!!! Congratulations and wishing you prosperity.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:37 PM
Guru

I was reading about some audio freaks they ran a bunch of big caps in parallel--got like 40,000 uF per channel. Must have cost thousands of bucks. I'd like to get the Contraption quieted down, but not at that price. Enough caps to fill up a suitcase and weigh about fifty pounds.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:36 PM
Guru

caps are supposed to be here today. If I don't post any more you'll know i got electrocuted.

BTW, it was not the power supply itself that was screaming, just where the wires hook up so maybe a cap would work right at that spot.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:01 PM
Guru

Got the caps installed--no change in scream level.