PDA

View Full Version : Minor solar magnetic storm

Mike(Mont)
04-05-2016, 05:08 PM
The solar magnetic disturbance is minor but it is causing some locating issues. The waves are mostly not strong (there are a few) but they are sharp, fast.

Mike(Mont)
04-17-2016, 03:39 PM
This latest geomagnetic storm has subsided enough to get good locating conditions. I must be a very insecure person because every time a storm hits and I lose locating conditions, I panic and think the world is ending. Well, it's back to smooth sailing for now. Also I've read that in Russia they isolate sensitive people from the storms in some sort of shielded room. Guess I need one so I don't lose it one of these times. :lol: My mother in her later years had trouble with her balance and focus ever time a magnetic storm hit. Many times she would just lose it. They say the frequencies during storms mimic the human brainwaves and can really cause a disruption nearly an epileptic episode. Skeptics are not immune to this. :D

Abby Mermet probably gave the best description of the storm phenomena when he compared it to watching moonlight on the sea. When the storm comes up the moonlight is scattered all over the place and appears to be coming from many different directions, but when the sea calms the light originates from only one source.

Mike(Mont)
04-17-2016, 08:43 PM
We got a slow bunch around here. I'm surprised nobody came up with the idea to wear a tinfoil hat. :lol::D

Mike(Mont)
04-18-2016, 12:36 AM
By afternoon the conditions were not as good. I ran the power up quite a bit.

Mike(Mont)
04-18-2016, 03:19 AM
Late today even with power at higher level (about one-half of full power, maybe somewhat less than) it was not locking on to the test target. Didn't try any more power as it was getting dark. Not sure how much power I was using, I would have to measure. Might only be one-third of full power or even less.

Mike(Mont)
04-18-2016, 02:28 PM
Yeah, there was a nasty solar eruption at midnight UTC. If you go to spaceweather.com there is an article today about the eruption. Click on the highlighted NOAA Blackout Map to get a view of the eruption. It was hot!

Mike(Mont)
04-18-2016, 04:53 PM
I reread the info I have about the Russians doing the shielding for sensitive patients. The book I have says they didn't use the proper magnetic shielding, they only used shielding for radio waves. That leads me to believe they weren't even trying to shield the magnetics. The book talked about using Mu metal. I think there are more modern materials available now but I don't know what they are.

WM6
04-18-2016, 05:37 PM
You do not need Mu-metal (Ferro alloy sheets using to make transformers core). Any conserve can sheets that attracted magnets will do the same. The only difference between conserve can (Ferro alloy based) and Mu-metal sheets is in its permeability, due which Mu-Metal sheets are less prone to heating in changeable magnetic fields than regular ferro sheets used for conserve can. Shielding properties to changeable magnetic fields are otherwise the same.

Mike(Mont)
04-18-2016, 06:01 PM
You mean to say my tinfoil hat is just a placebo? :lol: Darn it! I was hoping to sell them for a thousands dollars each. Well, maybe those calculator fake LRL guys will buy one anyway. :lol: Oops, didn't mean to take away business from you.

WM6
04-18-2016, 06:38 PM
For radio frequency interference (RFI) shielding, any metal foil (as per example household ALU foil) will do. The same for static charge shielding.

On other side:

For electromagnetic interference (EMI), only alloys containing Ferromagnetic metals (in first line Ferro-alloys), are capable to act as shielding. There are different alloys (as p.a. mentioned Mu-metal), for different applications (trafo, magnetometer sensor, magneto-tape heads etc.), but all are applicable for EMI shielding, as well as mentioned conserve can. Main differences are in how those foils (sheets), are prone to heating in EMI fields due to its permeability. Those heatings properties are not big issue regarding shielding properties - in fact it is here negligible. Of course such foils/sheets should be checked by (best neodymium) magnet first. If magnet is not attracted, EMI shielding, made out of such foil/sheets, will not work.

If your "tin-foil hat" contain ferromagnetic metals, then it can be used as EMI shielding. Try it with magnet.

And don't forget that your head should be shielded from all sides not from above only. Solar storm namely trigger intensified storms in liquid Earth core which then in return radiate strongest EMI to bottom of our bodies/heads. Another rule: more (from each other isolated) shielding layers - better EMI shielding.

Solar storms are not only strong sources of EMI disturbances in hemisphere, there are such human made storms too:

http://www.mindfully.org/Technology/Magnetospheric-Power-Line19may78.htm

Mike(Mont)
04-18-2016, 09:25 PM
The foil hat was a joke. I'm surprised you haven't seen the absurd people wearing one.

Personally I like the idea of something like a noise-cancelling sound system, only magnetic energy. Maybe even headphones or electrodes, I don't know.

WM6
04-18-2016, 10:07 PM
The foil hat was a joke ... I'm surprised you haven't seen the absurd people wearing one.

Who is skeptic now? Those people are serious believers.

Mike(Mont)
04-19-2016, 03:08 AM
Why do I keep thinking you are in on that calculator hoax? Must have something to do with all the B.S. that comes out of you. Take that away and there ain't nothing left.

WM6
04-19-2016, 04:00 AM
Why do I keep thinking you are in on that calculator hoax?

I don't know why. Probably cause you are not only weak on basic electronics and physics but on logic thinking and geography too.

Mike(Mont)
04-19-2016, 05:30 PM
Here's a Willie Dixon tune

"I hope some screwball start a fight."

https:www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylooNcW-8bc

goldfinder
04-19-2016, 08:27 PM
I don't know why. Probably cause you are not only weak on basic electronics and physics but on logic thinking and geography too.

I'll second that and 3rd it and google it (10exp100)
GF

Mike(Mont)
04-19-2016, 11:52 PM
Here's one by Sam and Dave--I'm @ soul man

https:www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fS9-Yimdhw

Mike(Mont)
04-23-2016, 02:18 AM
If you look at the Boulder, Colorado magnetometer graph for today, you will see it is a flat line. :D