PDA

View Full Version : Mike's adventures with MFD amplifier

Mike(Mont)
02-01-2014, 03:58 PM
I was reading about the Rayfinder from Imagelocators about how it can run up to 24 volts. There are seven different power levels for up to 2100 meters or something like that and the lowest setting says 300 meters. I don't know what the lowest voltage is, but I am guessing to is somewhere around nine volts since that is what the battery size is. Anyway I built an amplifier and hooked up 12 volts and tried it in my yard on a test target. Seemed to work so I thought "more is better" and I hooked up 24 volts. I could not find the signal line, it was wide and scattered. So I thought maybe "less is better" and I hooked up 6 volts. Maybe there was some interference because it didn't work that well. So I went to nine volts and that seemed better. Maybe I should cal it "Goldie Locks" We got a bunch of snow and cold and I need to shovel the test area before I try it again today. It's been my experience that I cannot depend on something being good or bad with just one day's testing. Conditions change all the time and it takes s few days just to find out how it fairs over time.

Mike(Mont)
02-01-2014, 05:32 PM
I guess I should mention here more power does not mean better. I've used six and twelve volt units in the field and they picked up every tiny particle known to man. Just got hits everywhere there was no way to check them all. So basically I am hoping I can use the Eliminator e-120 with this set-up and it's going to require a lot of testing in my yard and in the field. The long-time buried stuff really gives off a stronger signal than the fresh dropped stuff. So it's like a whole 'nother world.